Monday, April 16, 2007

Semana Santa

Since we got another week off for Holy Week (Easter week), my friend Carly and I decided to travel up through Honduras and Nicaragua. The trip was fun, but we definitely spent too much time on a bus. It was almost 21 hours one-way, not including at crazy border crossings. The Costa Rican - Nicaraguan border (picture below) took almost 3 hours!So our first real stop (aside from the layovers in Managua, Nica and San Pedro, Honduras) was the Bay Island of Roatan...Which I had actually been to before with the family, same week 7 years prior.

Anyone remember this beach?





It is definitely a lot more built up than when we were there before, but still beautiful none the less.

Pictures along the walk to the beach






Check out my tan after all this sunbathing...haha YEAH RIGHT!

We met this girl named Kathy from Ireland ( on right below) on the bus ride, she was traveling alone and ended up hanging out with us the whole time we were on the island....really nice girl, and lucky for me (who hadn't had a hair cut in almost 3 months) she was a hairdresser and ended up cutting off my rapidly developing fem-mullet.


Sunset from dinner table one night.


After the island and another long bus ride, we made it to Granada, Nicaragua an old colonial town.




Actually a picture of a fountain in Messaih...we went there hoping to hit up the cheap tourist market to buy presents for all of you....but it turns out that people take holy week pretty seriously and the whole thing was closed for good Friday...so now everyone will just have to settle for the gifts I find in the San Jose market...haha



Carly pondering what we are going to to do... since the market was closed.




Street outside our hostel in Granada










Yes...that is a goat grazing in the middle of one of the main streets in the city!



A closer view



More colonial type buildings






and after another long bus ride back to San Jose, this guy was waiting at the bus station for me





My friend Ryu and I....the face to go with the scabby diseased legs in my panama entry

No comments: